Fall Prevention For Seniors & The Elderly
Falling is the leading cause of injury for Seniors. Recuperation from fractures sustained by falls is difficult, painful, and costly. Falls can result in a lifestyle altering change due to limited mobility and loss of independence. Many falls happen in the home, doing regular daily things.
The two main factors are: changes in our body as we age- some decreases in eyesight, hearing, coordination and physical strength. As we age, bones become more brittle and the body heals more slowly.
Protect yourself and decrease your risk of falling and injuries in the following ways:
- have your vision & hearing checked regularly
- talk to your doctor or pharmacist about your medication and possible side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness or becoming unsteady on your feet affecting balance
- have a physical therapist or doctor create an exercise plan to strengthen muscles and improve balance
- install and use safety bars around toilet and in shower, use a hand held shower head and place a seat in shower, use a safety mat or non-slip strips, use handrails on stairs
- if you need a cane or walker- use it! Wear comfortable shoes with rubber soles
- have good lighting kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, use night lights in bathroom and hallways
- keep walkways clutter free, repair broken tiles or flooring to avoid tripping
- avoid throw rugs or tack them down with non slip backing or glue
- if living alone, get an emergency response system installed
- carry a cell phone on your person
- keep things you use the most in easy to reach drawers and cabinets
- concentrate when walking outside or in unfamiliar places
- Avoid wet areas and wipe up spills quickly
Let Us Help With Your Home Health Care Needs
If you or a loved one are in need of information related to Home Health Care, call one of our skilled nurses at (877) 706-0785 or Contact Us today for your free consultation. To find out if you qualify for Medicare Home Health Benefits simply visit our Medicare Certified Boca Home Care website.
Home Care Areas of Service:
Palm Beach County: Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Highland Beach, Delray Beach, Lake Worth, Lantana, Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Wellington & Greenacres.
Broward County: Deerfield Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, Hallandale, Lauderhill, Lighthouse Point, Coconut Creek, Coral Springs, Pompano Beach, Sunrise, Tamarac, Weston, Dania, Davie, Margate, Pembroke Pines & Wilton Manors.