Will the Government pay for my parent’s home health care?

May 19th, 2010 | Posted by admin in Home Health Care | Medicare
will the government pay for home health care

Medicare only covers "Skilled" nursing services

When choosing Homecare services and Healthcare providers for aging parents and relatives, price can be a key concern. Who pays for what? The government via Medicare and Veteran’s benefits does pay for some aspects of home health care. Some local government agencies may provide limited homecare based on financial and medical criteria.

However, daily, multiple hours of care from a home health aide for an aging parent are paid privately either through Long Term Care Insurance or out of pocket. Most Home Health Agencies have hourly minimums per week.

Medicare will cover “skilled” home care services for home-bound patients for up to 60 days per episode. This is done through a doctor’s order and will cover Registered Nurse, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Social Work and bath visits. These are short term visits usually lasting around an hour.

The Veteran’s Administration has different benefits for veterans or their spouses. There are benefits for those wounded in action and also a program called “Aid & Attendance” which must be applied for and based on financial and/or medical need will pay a monthly stipend which can be used for home care and respite care for the caregiver.

If you have any Elder Care information or resources that you believe can help our readers, we’d love to share them. Become a Guest Blogger. For more information, contact us.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.